Friday, February 28, 2014

When Would You Walk Away From The Hero?

Let's get this out of the way: I am not a Feminist. I believe in equal rights and self-esteem and basic mutual respect between the genders (and that means all of them). I believe in holding the door for the person after you, no matter whether they are male or female, young, old, hairy, bald, snooty or friendly. I think it doesn't hurt to be nice to other people on a regular basis, because maybe they'll pass it on to someone else. Maybe you'll change their day for the better with your little gesture. I am a mother, a wife, a daughter, an aunt, a niece -- and I don't want to pass on any negative "-isms" if I can help it.

I also happen to think that people learn from what they are exposed to. I do not mean this as a generalization -- surely not everyone who watches horror movies decides to turn into Freddy Kreuger just as not everyone who reads a biography about Mother Theresa gives up their corporate position to go take care of the poor in third world countries -- but I think, in the absence of seeing different aspects of different subjects, impressionable people might feel certain behaviors are normal and what they should aspire to or expect from life. 

Recently I've encountered some "romance" stories with couples -- the hero and heroine, and sometimes even the supporting characters -- who made me cringe. I thought, "Would I want my niece to read this? My son? My daughter?"

The answer was a resounding NO.

This made me wonder -- have any of you ever encountered, or read, a character or even a real person you just had to walk away from? Someone you wanted to tell the heroine/hero to run like hell from? Someone you wouldn't want to introduce to your friends or family? Someone you wouldn't want to be with? And if someone you loved was exposed to this person, how would you deal with it? What are the boundaries that would have to be crossed in order to make you take action?

Real life example: I was dating someone a long time ago that seemed funny and warm. He had a decent job and a home and southern gentleman manners. One day I walked in on him, after being invited over, to find him beating his dog with a bat. I never found out what the dog did to enrage him, but it had no impact on him at all when I shouted for him to stop. On an upswing, I reached out for the bat and grabbed it, and he turned and growled at me to let it go or I would be next.
I do not know where it came from because at the time I was not the most confident person. Those of you who know me personally know I'm not exactly linebacker-sized. I'm more the opposite of linebacker-sized. Maybe it was that I was terrified and upset for the dog. I looked him right in the eye and bluffed. I growled back, "Oh, you really don't want to do that."
And apparently, he did not. Maybe he suddenly worried that I had some inner ninja he hadn't counted on. Maybe he thought with a growl like that I would be willing to act physically and kick his scrawny (okay, at the time I didn't think it was scrawny, but in retrospect...) ass. That was it for us. Everything that had come before was null and void and that sort of cruelty, that threat -- wow. I just got out.
I heard the dog went to his ex-wife. I will never, ever, forget the look on his face when I grabbed the bat. For a long time I wondered how I'd missed signs in how he'd treated me before that. For months I had nightmares about letting go of the bat, and what could have happened when I did.

The heroes that have recently put me off have controlling, demeaning tendencies that their authors have somehow packaged as romantic. Characters do have flaws and secrets, and sometimes those elements drive the story and make you feel for them. But when does behavior go over the line and make you want to sit down with your niece, for instance, and say, "Look. Don't ever let someone treat you like this. It is not romantic and it is not respectful and it is not an example of how people who love each other should treat each other."

Examples extracted from text:

"Shut up and just take off your [article of clothing] like a good girl."

"I am not giving you the key (this said to a newlywed about their home) until I can trust you to behave."

"Why are you so fat?"

"You're going to wear what I like and you're not going to give me any [expletive] about it. And I will know if you take it off and you will be punished."

Heroes insist on carrying their heroines everywhere, and not always because they've been injured. Or they have the heroine's friends spy on her and report back. They begin as attentive and overwhelmingly romantic, too good to be true. The story becomes so focused upon the couple that friends and family are slowly eliminated from the picture.

Does anyone know the classic beginning signs of emotional, physical, or sexual battering? Would you want someone talking to you, or your friend or family member, that way? What would you do?

So there are things I want to know:

Have you ever encountered a character that you could not stand? Are there characters in classics or bestsellers that you couldn't believe other readers thought were wonderful but that you wished had never been published?

Have you ever encountered someone like that in real life and what did you do about it? Have you encountered someone like that and not done anything?

I am truly curious about how people feel about certain kinds of actions within relationships, both real and fictional. I wonder how we help or teach those around us to understand that some forms of behavior -- negative, disparaging, physically or emotionally uncomfortable or hurtful -- are just not right.

Please let me know what you think. 

5 comments:

  1. Very very good post. It's disturbing to me that for example, the drivel that is Fifty Shades of Gray has taken hold of so many women and that they see the controlling, abusive "hero" as a romantic ideal.
    I know people who have been in abusive relationships and there is nothing romantic about them.
    But the character filled with darkness is seen as romantic. I always thought Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights is a wife abusing psycho. The Phantom of the Opera is a murderous nutcase. They've been elevated to romantic characters, but in reality they're only fit to live within the confines of their pages.
    Glad you grabbed that baseball bat, btw.

    But there is one thing that I don't understand and that's your view of the word feminism. I personally feel it's a shame you feel the need to put up a disclaimer that you're not a Feminist. That you see the word feminism as some kind of negative.
    Feminism is simply defined as:
    : the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities

    : organized activity in support of women's rights and interests


    Those women who were our first feminists put their lives on the line and women and men owe them a huge debt of gratitude. It's sad that the words feminist and feminism are seen as somehow tainted. I would no more disavow feminism than I would disavow the Suffragettes.
    This happens to be the anniversary of the Supreme Court affirming the 19th amendment in 1922.
    Anyone who believes in the rights of women is a feminist and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Robin. As always you make me think. I mean no disrespect to those who struggled and continue to struggle to be sure people (not just women) are treated equally in terms of wages, opportunities, aid, and personal value. I just don't like to put a label on it. I don't think that the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities should be called by a feminine term, although I don't know what a better term would be. I know the reality is that without feminists it's highly unlikely we as a culture would've ever come as far as we have. I will acknowledge that my disclaimer is based upon personal interactions with some pretty strident feminists. I shouldn't have generalized. I know there's a need for strong, committed people to make change for any cause.

      By the way, I never understood Heathcliff as a romantic hero either. Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
    2. The term feminism has been distorted. And I know there are some very strident feminists. But I think we're seeing a resurgence against women's rights so like any fight it continues. But I wasn't offended. I just think it's a term that can be embraced.
      The idea of abuse as romantic is pretty scary. And I'm always appalled when I read about women swooning over those kind of characters.

      Delete
  2. I had written a long-winded reply to this quite a while ago but it got lost in cyberspace. This will probably be just as long-winded so consider yourself forewarned. :)

    This post was great and truly resonated with me. I read a book about two years ago where the hero kidnapped the heroine. His motives, we eventually discover, are altruistic, but his methods were, frankly, unforgivable. At least by me. He tortured the heroine – though not by drawing blood or beating her. He merely withheld food and water from her until she voluntarily stripped herself bare. Until she urinated in front of him. Until… well… it just got worse from there. He was training her and he suffered greatly because of all he had to do to her. Yeah right. It might have had erotic moments but it was a lesson in sexual and mental abuse that I will never forget. I hated that hero and I hated the heroine for wanting him once everything was over. Hated her.

    Another story that had this same fall-in-love-with-your-abuser syndrome wasn’t a book but rather a TV show. A soap opera, actually. Remember Luke and Laura? Laura was this pretty young and happy newly-wed who was raped by Luke in Luke’s nightclub. After the rape, Laura’s husband, Scotty, tried everything he could think of to comfort her but she was having none of it. She couldn’t bear for him to touch her, to talk to her. Their palpable love affair was over, as was their marriage. I can understand that. Rape victims go through painful stages of grief and recovery – if they reach recovery. But in this story, the writers, the characters turned rape into romance. Scotty became the bad guy. Here was his beloved wife suffering and what does she do? She shuts him out but turns to Luke, her rapist, for comfort. Scotty naturally fumes – and soon turned into an ugly drunk – and viewers turned on him in favor of the budding romance between Luke and Laura. The 80’s were Luke and Laura’s decade as viewers all over tuned in to see how their love would blossom. What trials they would have to endure… how they would overcome them. It was a whirlwind affair that lasted… a decade? Two? Even the actor who played Luke, Anthony Geary, said he couldn’t understand how an audience would cheer for a rape victim falling in love with her rapist. It was sickening. Worse? I was in that cheering audience and even convinced my then-boss to allow us to turn on the TV to watch Luke and Laura’s wedding. Yes. That was me. Then. Not now. Now I’m disgusted by it.

    One more point and then I’ll leave this over-long post. The song, “Every Breath You Take”, was one of the most popular first-dance wedding songs of the decade. It wasn’t about romance or love or tenderness or caring or being there. It was about stalking. About owning. About obsession. Sting new that and was appalled by audience response the same as Anthony Geary was appalled. And the same as I - and you – are appalled by abuse crafted to come off as love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, you made me think back to when I worked with someone who was getting married when that song was number one. She was -- by all accounts, or at least her own -- the first person to EVER get married, and she was determined to have this as her wedding song, since it was "the most romantic song ever". I pointed out to her just how creepy it was but she and all of her buddies shot me down. It just goes to show you how people only hear what they want to hear.
      As for Luke and Laura, I remember my friends all talking about them -- I never watched soap operas, so at one point I thought Luke and Laura were real people. I remember they were very goggle-eyed about how cute and dreamy Luke was. A couple of years after that, I was on my way back up to my office in New York and rushed into the elevator and ran smack into -- like head to his chest -- Anthony Geary. He was very nice about being thudded into, but I never saw the big deal in what they were gushing over. I had no idea that was the plot, but wow.
      Thanks so much for your comments.

      Delete