Tuesday, February 26, 2013

I'm a Looo-oo--oo--ser... Not!

I know: What an optimistic way to start the year, right? I've had this Beatles song running through my head for a couple of weeks now.

But hear me out.

Waaaaay back in ... I think it was September, I entered a writing contest. I have this story I've been working on for a couple of years, and I took twelve thousand words and tightened them into exactly the seven thousand required, and I sent it out. I like this story, and apparently I'm not the only one: of the possible 300 points I could get in the first round, I scored 299. My husband took the call from the lovely and generous coordinator, who informed him that I was a finalist. The winners (category and then best of the best) would be announced at a conference, to which I was invited, in February. In Houston.  After several weeks' debate and then with the encouragement of the BHE (see November's blog for copyright here), I booked flights.

Since child #2 is getting ready to be an exchange student, and since she's also a budding writer and pretty much fun to be around, I asked her to come along with me. This guaranteed two things: She would get a dress rehearsal of handling airports and airplanes, which she hadn't done in about ten years, and I would have a travel buddy -- I wouldn't have to walk into a room full of people I didn't know, or eat alone or see stuff alone. We'd never been to Texas and we needed a shot glass for our collection, which has one for every place we've ever visited.

Let's cut to the chase. By the title you can tell I didn't emerge with a publishing contract, a giant bouquet of roses and a trophy that would need to be checked into cargo for the return trip. I got back the scores from the final round judges (one agent and one editor) and they were pretty mediocre.

But here's what was great:

1. I got to spend a whole weekend with my 15-year-old daughter. We reveled in a 17th-floor hotel room (we could see for miles!) and we went to the Galleria (which is a mall on mega mall steroids, sort of) and we ate out and we visited the museum of Natural Science and the Zoo. We bought stuff and we laughed and when I didn't win, my daughter said to me, "Don't worry, Mom. Just think of J.K. Rowling." Because, you know, J.K. Rowling never won this contest, and she's doing just fine. My daughter is a wonderful human being. Even when I got lost on the way to the museum area and spent equal amounts of time arguing with the annoyingly unflappable GPS and the equally imperturbable Onstar, and when I hyperventilated on the giant ramps on the giant highways throughout giant Houston, she kept calm.

2. We got to meet writers from Houston, and let me tell you, the West Houston RWA chapter is full of fine, creative, thoughtful and professional people. My coordinator Sarah made us feel so incredibly welcome, and we owe her and her fellow chapter mates a huge thank you. They gave me a beautiful Honorable Mention certificate. They epitomized the way everyone we encountered in Houston behaved. We even got invited back for the rodeo next year.

3. I found out I've grown a tougher skin. I knew I wasn't going to win, but I was a bit bummed by the final judges' remarks. Then I recalled the comments from the  first-round judges, two of whom were published writers and writing teachers. And I recalled that I had faith in my own ability of expression with the written word.

So, final cost of trip? Let's just say monetarily it was not exactly a bus ride. My ego was a little bruised, but only for a little while. The six-hour delay of our transfer at the Philly airport was no picnic.

But the benefits, the winnings? As they say in the commercials, priceless.

Plus we got this cool shot glass with a plastic longhorn on it.


35 comments:

  1. And we enjoyed having you!
    This profession is a rollercoaster...for every skyscraper-up (299 out of 300)there's an incredibly heartbreaking low (agents and editors passing on your work.)

    I have no doubt (like your husband and daughter) that you will achieve a book contract soon. It's all about persistence and patience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sarah. For everything. Onward and upward!

      Delete
  2. A score of 299 out of 300 is absolutely incredible! And the so-so final scores are proof of how subjective this business is. It's not about the beauty, it's about the eye, and some people simply don't see things they way they should. Um... I mean... the way we'd hope. ;-) Kudos to you for taking the trip down to Houston though - and to that beautiful youngin' of yours who joined you. That's the best prize of all. Most of the time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Subjectivity's okay -- otherwise we'd all be reading the same things all the time! Thanks for commenting, Debbie.

      Delete
  3. You are a total winner in my book, chica, and that score is only one piece of it. You and your talent are going to break free and you'll be watching the rest of us trying to catch up.

    I'm incredibly honored to know such a talented writer, and to call you my friend is even better. Your daughter is a wise woman and I'm glad she was there to share in the excitement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I love you too, man. Thank you for everything.

      Delete
  4. It was wonderful meeting both you and your daughter! And 299 out of 300? Dude, be proud :) I can't wait to follow your journey
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I AM soo proud. We had the best time with you all, and it was so cool for Julie to get to sit with a YA author. We're still talking about our amazing table mates! Thanks so much, Rachel.

      Delete
  5. We love having finalists show up at the awards ceremony! Putting faces to the names is wonderful and rewarding.

    I've entered dozens of contests, like 8 in one year. Won one, finaled in another. But I never let that stop me.

    My first book (not the first written, by any means) was pubbed in 2008 and now I have 35 novels and novellas published.

    With the support of your family (I too have a supportive and writingly daughter) I know you'll hit it big in your own time. Just hone your craft, be creative and keep writing. It only takes one yes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn. I have a great family and a great RWA chapter here on Long Island, too -- they all help me learn and get things right. I love your words of encouragement -- so glad you stopped by.

      Delete
  6. It was great seeing you there! I'm glad you and your daughter had a good time in our city and with our chapter. I hope to see you next year!

    Brandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandie! Awesome! The woman brave enough to let the whole table in on her work! So great to meet you, and maybe we'll be back.

      Delete
  7. As a mom without teens (still elem.school age), the trip with child#2 sounds like it was a good time making memories!!

    I'm sorry you didn't win but that means something bigger and better is out there for you : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I did win. Just not in the way I was expecting. You're right about the memories....

      Delete
  8. LynneRose, we were delighted that you and your daughter could join us for the Emily festivities. Don't be discouraged by the final judges' scores--they are always tough (I know, I've been there often), but they are often helpful, too. Please keep us posted on your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kay. Thank you for hosting us and for the wonderful day. We were so pleased to meet so many terrific people, and grateful for the opportunity. I'm actually not discouraged at all -- once I took a breath and read over all of the comments from all of the judges, I'm happy to report I found them very helpful. I loved participating in this contest.

      Delete
  9. Hi Lynn! A scheduling conflict kept me from attending The Emily conference this year. I'm sorry I missed meeting you and your daughter, but it sounds like you had a good time in "Space City" and that your shot glass collection is now complete with a set of longhorns. Reading your account of getting around this huge city made me laugh. I can relate because I'm originally from the Great Plains states. No 6-layer freeway overpasses out on the prairie. LOL!

    Congratualtions on the Emily Final. Great score, by the way. And, after your excursion down here, I'd say you're now an Honorary Texan. Woot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woot right back atcha! I've lived on Long Island my entire life, and even though we've traveled quite a bit, you get used to things being far more compact here. I'm looking at the whole thing as a successful adventure!

      I am more pleased than you can imagine to be an honorary Texan. We were sorry we couldn't stay longer, but are already campaigning for a return visit.

      Sorry I missed you but who knows what the future will bring!

      Delete
  10. Hey, LynnRose - we loved having you with us in Houston. And you are so NOT a loser. We're proud of our Emily Contest, all 23 or so years of her, and she's a tough nut to crack. We have a ton of entries every year, due to some really wonderful first round judges - and 299 out of 300? Honey, I'd say YOU ROCK! :-) The longer you're in this business, the more you find how subjective everyone - especially those editors & agents are. They don't pull punches, so we've all grown tougher skin. The answer's easy (HA!) - Write & submit, write & submit. We'll both get there one of these days.

    I'm so pleased that you and your daughter enjoyed our city - we've got a lot to offer, but unfortunately, those freeways come with it.

    Congratulations, lady. You're a winner - and soon the publishing world will figure that out, too.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Jo Anne. I've heard nothing but GREAT things about the Emily, so I was thrilled to be a finalist. And thrilled to come to Texas.

      My daughter was willing to move there the minute we got out of the car at the meeting. We might even have to come back since there's a culinary school in San Antonio she wants to check out. We had a wonderful time.

      Delete
  11. Congratulations Lynn! Good for you! And nice to have that weekend with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin! Thanks -- it was a lot of fun. Now I have to get back to writing! Hope we can make a writing day soon.

      Delete
    2. I'd love to have a writing day. Let me know when you have some time! It would be great!

      Delete
  12. Lynn, we were so happy to have you at the meeting. I just want to repeat that none of us on the Emily committee or in the West Houston chapter think of you as a loser. Come on 299 out of 300? Definitely a winner--now you just have to find the agent/editor who agree (so easy--not).

    Glad you had fun in Houston--and I'm wondering if you ever got to have some real Texas barbeque.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie -- I definitely don't think of myself as a loser. Okay, so maybe I don't play well with navigational systems in newer cars, but we all have our talents...

      We did not get to have Texas bbq -- we had planned to but were so exhausted the second day. Another reason to come back!

      Delete
  13. Your a winner in my eye's and always have been. You have an amazing gift that always entertain us. You write from your heart and soul. I'm so glad you had this adventure, and with my favorite girl no less. Memories last a life time to always have and treasure. No worries, cause when you least expect it, it shall happen. Those were some incredible scores by the way. <3
    Your the cheekiest!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so smooshy -- thank you so much for everything you say and do.

      Wanna come with us next time?

      Delete
  14. I am a fan of Texas. How much BBQ did ya eat? Or Texmex?
    Anyways, your writing is fantastic. Keep it up. Just don't outshine me ;)

    OP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Owen. Dude. Nobody writes time-traveling pirates like you do. We'll just have to shine together!

      Didn't get to bbq but found some great TexMex -- next time far more food!

      Thanks for stopping in, Owe.

      Delete
  15. Congratulations, Lynne, and I'm so happy you enjoyed Houston with your daughter. What a wonderful memory to share. Keep writing and querying. It will happen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Jolyse -- it was pretty fantastic. You're one of those people I mentioned above that keeps me writing and learning how to do it better. So glad to be in LIRW together!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's the smaller things that get bigger when we truly look at them that make us winners. You grew, you experienced, you shared love, all are wonderful memories. You're a winner in so many eyes and hearts. Congrats Lynne. Proud of you kiddo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donna. Every little bit counts, right?

      Delete
  18. Hi Lynne,

    Congratulations on finaling in the Emily contest. West Houston is one of my home RWA chapters. The Emily is a very competitive contest, so to final is a huge accomplishment. Glad to hear you had a wonderful stay in my home town. Wishing you all the best with your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vicky. It was so great meeting you there, and so nice of Jeannie to have made the "introduction". I can't say enough about what a great experience being part of the Emilys and visiting you all in Houston was. Hopefully we'll see each other again sometime!

      Delete