Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Words for My Darlings

I have been away for a little while. Events, transitions, gatherings, farewells, happened. Some are still in the process of happening.

This is for my children, for their friends, for anyone who's embarking upon an uncertain future. I wrote it for Jules, Bear, Manda, Jax, MK, myfavoriteCaitlin, Baco, James, Dan, Quinnessence, Mish, Myfavoriteniece(don'ttellanyone), Eric, Squyd, Emma, ... the list continues.

I wrote it and showed it to my sister, who said it was going on her fridge, which -- if that isn't a place of honor, I don't know what is. I wrote it and showed it to a friend, who asked if she could share it with another friend, and I thought -- if that isn't a compliment, I don't know what is. I wrote it because of these people, most of whom I have known for a long time, and for how they have been a most joyful part of my path. I love you all.


Words for My Darlings

Do not ever let anyone tell you
   you can't.
Do not ever let anyone tell you
   there is one route to follow
   and you need to know exactly
       where you are going
       and you'd better get there on time.

Have a passion:
   complex as being happy
   or simple as saving the world
but yours and yours alone.
Nobody is going to
   or should
   live your life for you.
Keep your goal in mind
   and the path you take
   the path you choose
   should give you
      an adventure
      a story or two
   your destination.

Just remember you can learn
   or change the route
   or make other plans
      you can even rest
      or dance, for a little while.

And that might be even better
   as long as you take the best you can from it
   and give the best you have to it.


Happy New Year, everybody -- next month I'll go back to talking about writing, instead of just doing it.

lynne


(C) 2015 LynneRose Cannon. All rights reserved.

10 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful. I love it. For me, it gives permission to live, and breathe, and smile. And be.

    Happy New Year to you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous Lynne! The words speak the truest truth about living life.
    You can learn or change your route. No matter what the life you were given is yours, you can never stray from that, you can only hand over its control to someone else or to limiting beliefs that whisper in your ear and tell you you 'can't' or shouldn't. All lies. Start from where you're at with what you've got and keep your destination in mind and then trust the universe to move Heaven and earth to fulfill those intentions.
    Thanks for the gentle reminder chicalicious!
    ~G~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A vote of confidence never hurt. Thanks, Gwen.

      Delete
  3. Once again you amaze me. This touched my heart ❤️ Thank you for sharing this ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I'm not the one who produced MyFavoriteNiece(don'ttellanyone). She's one of the most excellent niecies out there. Thank YOU.

      Delete
  4. That hit home. Thank you.
    Have a great year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Donna, I'm so glad you liked it. Thank you.

      Delete